Placement Opportunity 2016/2017: Campaign and appeals (North East)
We are offering a Campaign and Appeals placement at Marie Curie, One starting in July and another in October. This is an unpaid placement and you will be based in the fundraising office at the Marie Curie hospice Newcastle.
The successful applicant will join our dynamic and exciting North East & Cumbria Fundraising Team for a 12 week placement or a 28 week placement (depending on the availability of a suitable candidate). We would ideally like three full days per week commitment (days per week flexible).
The first placement opportunity will run between July and September with the potential to extend to December should a suitable candidate have the availability.
The North East & Cumbria Fundraising Team, is a dynamic, fast paced, successful team responsible for ensuring that fundraising activity is implemented and managed locally to deliver budgets, targets and income in line with the charity’s national and regional plans and strategies. Our key focus to help us achieve this is by supporting and facilitating the development of volunteer networks and raising our profile in the local area.
The placement opportunity we are offering would support the community fundraising team to:
- Work with supporters in ways that encourage and support people to fundraise for Marie Curie.
- Provide and facilitate supporters with a choice of how they fundraise and work with Marie Curie.
- Respond to enquiries from the public, volunteers, fundraisers etc (by phone, mail and in person) including responding to requests for information and material.
- Deliver regional PR opportunities.
- Ensure that local fundraising appeals, activities and collections etc, run effectively and are well planned, marketed and supported.
- Attend local, regional and national fundraising activities and events.
- Ensure that accurate and up to date financial and supporter records are maintained and accessible.
The successful applicant will:
- Be enthusiastic
- Be keen to learn about the work of the local fundraising team, have a desire to get involved and have the ability to ‘hit the ground running’.
- Have the ability to work as part of a busy team.
- Be friendly/ personable and have the ability to build relationships with a wide range of people (face to face and on the phone).
- Have good verbal and written communication skills. A large part of the role will involve speaking to supporters and businesses on the phone.
- Have a high level of computer skills (i.e. word processing, spreadsheet management, email and internet competency, ability to navigate databases with ease).
- Be willing to occasionally work unsocial hours i.e. out of regular 9am-5pm office hours.
What will you get out of it?
Throughout the placement their will be opportunities to gain experience of organising fundraising events, marketing, PR, working with corporate partners and implementing national campaigns.
We will give you genuine responsibility, help you develop your transferable skills and your CV, and provide you with a dedicated manager to help you progress. Travel and lunch expenses will be reimbursed.
‘Doing a voluntary 3 month placement at Marie Curie has been everything I hoped for and more. The fundraising team treated me like one of them and I was given genuine responsibility as well as being consistently rewarded.
I would recommend anyone to volunteer with Marie Curie as they will take care of you from start to finish. The team are understanding, dedicated and just really lovely, kind people.’ Past Marie Curie intern.
Applications by CV and covering letter to be sent to Charlotte Campbell
For any queries please contact Charlotte on 0191 219 1234