Radio 1 was established in 1967 and aims to entertain and engage young audiences, with a wide ranging mix of music and speech. At the last count, just over 11 million people listened to us each week.
Our presenters include Nick Grimshaw at Breakfast, Zane Lowe and Clara Amfo, who looks after The Official Chart on Sunday. We feature a lot of new music and look to support new artists from the UK.
We’re also famous for live music – thousands of bands over the years have recorded sessions at our Maida Vale studios, or performed in Radio 1’s Live Lounge; while our own festival – Radio 1’s Big Weekend, attracts some of the biggest names in music – last year’s event included Coldplay, Katy Perry and One Direction
Radio 1Xtra was set up in 2002 and is one of the BBC’s four national digital stations – you can listen to us online, via your digital TV or on a DAB Radio. 1Xtra focuses on hip hop, RnB, UKG, dancehall, drum and bass and other urban genres – we’re quite like Radio 1, just louder at times! 1Xtra’s flagship live event is 1Xtra live, bringing our audiences an array of international and home grown stars from across our genres.
You will be employed on an 8 week BBC fixed term contract.
You will be paid £250 a week which will be paid on the 15th of each month you are here, directly into your bank account.
We have 2 placements available –
24th April – 18th June 2015
20th July 2015 – 11th September 2015
During the eight weeks you will work with teams across both stations, spending blocks of time in different departments. You will take part in meetings and brainstorms across R1 and 1X, research topics and complete a range of duties for production teams prior to and during live shows.
Hours will mainly be 10-6pm Monday to Friday. However we are 24/7 stations and keen that our interns experience and get involved with as much as possible. We are looking for flexible people who will be able to work weekends or alternative hours on request.
At the start of the placement, you will be set a research brief to prepare and develop across the 8 weeks. You will then present your findings and ideas to senior management at the end of the placement. This could be on anything, from how we use social media to comedy. We will give you creative and insight training to help you with this project. You’ll have regular meetings with the Marketing and Audiences team to develop your ideas.
During your time here you will also have a mentor. They will be a senior member of the Radio 1 & 1Xtra team who will spend time with you every week to discuss how your placement is going as well as your future plans.
- Passionate about music and digital tech and are doing something about it?
- Already making your own Youtube videos, broadcasting radio programmes, writing your own blogs, making your own films?
- The sort of person who has ‘get up and go’ and can get stuff done?
- Want to get hands on experience across all areas of Radio 1 & 1Xtra, from live events to programmes, to online and visualisation?
- Want a chance to share your creative ideas?
YOU NEED TO:
- Be creative and brilliant, passionate about radio, music and everything that appeals to a young audience.
- Know about current music and you’ll be listening to Radio 1 & 1Xtra
- Be into new technology and social media and will get how this is impacting on us and our audience.
- Be 18 or over and available to get to London to work on the dates stated. (The placements are based in our HQ on the top floor of New Broadcasting House, London).
- Be from any background, and any part of the UK. You don’t need to be a loud mouth! You could be quietly confident in your abilities.
YOU DON’T NEED TO:
- Be qualified! NB. You DON’T NEED any qualifications or radio experience. Instead, show us that you have a big imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for exploring and building a career in the media.
- Want to be the next Greg James or Sarah Jane Crawford. This is an ‘off air’ scheme, for people interested in careers in off air production roles. It is NOT a scheme for people interested in presenting.
You must be over 18 and available to work on the dates stated. The placements are based in our new HQ in New Broadcasting House London. From day one we want you to become part of our team, so we’re looking for enthusiastic people who understand our programmes and are ready to contribute, research and develop ideas with our teams. We want you to help us shape our programmes and projects so that they appeal to and are truly reflective of young UK, we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and from every corner of the UK.
For more information: http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=bmFkaW5ldC4wMzcyNy4xNzYwQGJiY2N0cy5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20
Please visit here for more details – http://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/trainee-schemes/takeiton