Since we were set up in 1934 the British Council has developed thousands of partnerships with over 100 countries all over the world. It’s a job we take tremendous pride in, but none of it would be possible without the hard work of our team in the UK.
If you are keen to learn more about working for a global charity and to make a real difference over the summer then this opportunity is definitely for you.
Every summer we look to bring fresh ideas to the organisation by taking on between 10 and 12 interns for a 12-week period over the summer holidays. We get new talent and creativity, plus an insight into how we can deliver the best opportunities to young people; you get to learn new skills while on a paid internship and make some useful contacts for the future. Everyone wins.
What does it involve?
As an intern you’ll have a fantastic opportunity to step into the world of cultural relations with an organisation that values diversity and innovation. You’ll join one of the teams in one of our UK offices, and work with a dedicated line manager on live projects to really add value to our organisation and international work.
You will also take part in a group project, where you will be able to apply your project management and team working skills as well as receiving career advice and training that provide you with real direction and perspective to take away with you on completion of the programme.! The whole process is designed to be as eye-opening for us, as it is for you.
What positions are available?
Our 2015 scheme is made up of the following positions. Please click on each role to learn more and start your application. You can apply for as many roles as you like, but please make sure you read the individual criteria for each position carefully and tailor your application for each one. Our 2015 intern roles are as follows:
- Music and Film Intern, London
- Corporate Communications and Events Intern, London
- Policy and External Relations Intern, London
- Digital Content and Analytics Intern, London
- HR Intern, London
- Science Communications Intern, London
- Services for International Education Marketing: Events Intern, Manchester
- Schools Intern: Research, Evidence and Languages, London
- English and Exams Self Access Learning Market Research Intern, London
- Global Network Team Intern, London
- Iran and Syria Intern, London
Where, when and how much?
All summer internships for 2015 are in our UK offices in either London or Manchester between 15 June and 4 September During that time you’ll need to be in the office from nine to five, Monday to Friday, and you will be paid a salary of £15,000 pro rata.
Can I apply?
We like to make sure we get the best possible talent, so there are a few requirements for applying. You must:
- You must currently be a student, in at least your second year at University, and on target for a 2:1 in any degree discipline, or you may also have graduated from your Bachelor’s degree in 2014 achieving a 2:1 or above.
- You must hold at least a grade C or equivalent in Maths and English at GCSE
- You must have the right to work in the UK without restriction for the duration of the programme
- You must be available for the whole 12-week period (15 June – 4 September 2015) without taking time for holiday.
- You must be available on all of the following dates for a half day assessment centre: 14, 15 , 16 April 2015.
When’s the deadline?
The deadline for applications is 23:59 GMT on Sunday 8 March 2015. All positions follow the same application process:
- Stage 1 – written application via our jobs portal
- Stage 2 – video interview in March
- Stage 3 – half-day assessment in April at our central London offices.